Google
 

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Pangkor + "Cloverfield" + "American Gangster"

Back from Pangkor on a trip with my SAM class. Really enjoyed it, too bad the water wasn’t that clear during snorkeling. Guess you cant have everything . Finally got on a bike after, oh, I dunno… 9- 10 years? Still can’t ride one properly, still having problems with cornering/ changing directions .

Almost got drunk on Saturday night, luckily I didn’t push myself too hard. Learned to play a drinking game, definitely more fun than just sitting and talking , but i really not recommended for those with a low tolerance for alcohol.

Lesson 1: Vodka goes better when mixed with Sprite than when mixed with Coke.

Lesson 2: Flavored vodka is actually a waste of time. The flavor isn’t strong enough for my liking after diluting it with soft drinks. Couldn’t taste the difference between non-flavored and flavored vodka.

Note to self: Bring nose plugs when going to the sea. I think I swallowed enough seawater to fill a 1.5 liter bottle. And that was just during snorkeling. The masks provided were leaky, so I ended up having to spit out seawater every 2 minutes. Then of course I sometimes dove a little too deep, so the water came into the breathing pipe, straight into my mouth. How exhilarating. Of course, it was worse during the banana boat ride. But then again, it’s all in the name of fun.

Fishing would have been really fun had there been more time. I’m still sore about not getting a catch! Can’t remember what happened to the fish my classmates caught though. Don’t think we ate them. Poor fish, dying for our pleasure, not even contributing to our energy reserves. Then again, I don’t really care.

Watched “Cloverfield” on Monday. Great CGI, great acting. Unfortunately, it’s a chick flick masquerading as a monster movie. I really felt cheated ‘cos I was expecting a Godzilla style action movie. Guys, don’t watch it unless you are with a girl (or girls). I went in there after reading a review of the show, so I roughly knew the format the movie would be in (video camera style). I just didn’t expect it to be so sucky. Monster? What monster? Couldn’t see it properly for 3 quarters of the movie. Since the movie is barely one and a half hours long, that really rankles with me. And it cost US$ 30 million to make? That’s $1 mil for 3 minutes! But maybe I’m just griping because it’s really not such a bad movie after all, just that it could have been better by:

1) Making it a little longer

2) Having an ending that gives a few more answers (my main problem with the movie)

3) Showing the monster in its full glory, not the tiny glimpses we got

I sense a huge wasted opportunity in “Cloverfield”. It could have been great, a classic, but ended up as a slightly above average movie.

I recommend “American Gangster” instead. The acting is even better and the movie is two and a half hours long. Denzel Washington is really intense in this show. But if “Cloverfield” was too short, “American Gangster” was too long. And it’s so choppy that I almost got seasick (alright, maybe I’m exaggerating). But if you have to watch a sucky movie, at least you get to enjoy the air-con an hour longer. Just goes to show that great acting can’t save a movie from a lousy script. Another wasted opportunity here. We get a turkey from an eagle egg.

No comments: