Google
 

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Of movies and CGI

Just came back from watching "Wanted" (the movie starring Angelina Jolie. No idea why people say she's hot. I think she's beautiful, certainly, but not hot)

The movie was okay..... Just the usual shoot em up movie, no real plot to speak of. Then there was that rip-off Star Wars moment. Not going to describe the scene but personally it was an insult to the viewer's intelligence. Then there are the ludicrous scenes where the impossible happens. Some how, after watching Shoot 'em up, no other movie can compare.

A bit sad, really, when I no longer feel these special effects are anything but special. I mean it's cool, but I just don't feel awed anymore. LOTR wasn't great because of the special effects, it was great because of a great script, great director and great storyline. Same for Spiderman (not including the 3rd one, that one sucked)

Or maybe that's because I have been reading too many comics (COMICS, not manga) for my own good. I've got something like 13 GB of comics now. Sadly Heath Ledger died, otherwise I'm pretty sure the Joker would reappear in the next Batman movie after The Dark Knight (the movie isn't out yet, I'm basing this on the assumption that the villain will lose and die. Also, I'm hoping for Two-Face to appear, either in The Dark Knight or the one after it). The Joker is the ultimate villain, not particularly powerful, but absolutely psychopathic and this is what is so scary about him. The Killing Joke and A Death in the Family are two of the most brilliant Batman comics.

But I digress.

There are so many movies that are laden with CGI yet fall absolutely flat, especially those that were first created in other mediums, for example The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (LXG) and the more recent Harry Potter movies. LXG was originally dark and dramatic (well, Alan Moore's comics are all like that) and the movie was trying to achive that yet became so campy it wasn't even funny. And the Harry Potter movies just sucked from the 4th one on. Let down by poor acting and the scriptwriter's poor selection of material from the books (not that the 5th book was any good), the movies are just another moneyspinner. I know the Star Wars movies (the newer 3) were pretty bad as well, but then again the story is so original, not to mention the older ones tend to cloud the viewer's mind with nostalgia.

The Rule of Cool states that the cooler something is, the more forgivable the leaps of imagination required. Best example, Transformers (Brilliant on the big screen). Now I find that its effect on me and my movie-watching experience is lessening so much that I feel sorry for myself. Of course it might be attributable to CGI fatigue, but it still seems rather sad.

Oh well...... I don't think that will stop me from being a sucker for such movies anytime soon, not with Hellboy 2 and Journey to the Center of the Earth coming out. (But the Mummy 3 movie seems too much like a theme park ride to consider buying a cinema ticket.) The Incredible Hulk was pretty okay though, up till the final fight scene which reminded me of Peter Jackson's King Kong which also had overlong fight scenes.

No comments: