Google
 

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Merdeka?

Our 50th Independence day is coming! (for Malaysia, that is)

Do I love my country? I honestly don't know. I didn't choose to be Malaysian any more than I chose to be male. So just because I'm born here, I'm supposed to love Malaysia?
In my book, patriotism is not loving your country, waving its flag etc. It's being here and making the most of it.

So are we REALLY independent now? As I haven't experienced what it is like to be under colonial rule, my opinion can't be accurate.

However, I don't think PROGRESS has been made. Not physical infrastructure, but culturally, spiritually and mentally.

Culturally and spiritually, what has happened is most probably regression. From what I've read, the Arabisation of the Malays has in fact led to more intolerance and the decline of their original culture. Many cultural treasures such as the joget and wayang kulit are in serious danger of disappearing, no thanks to overzealous religion-based political parties. The Chinese aren't much better. They are losing contact with their roots, becoming more and more westernized. Many can't speak Chinese and even more do not uphold the Chinese traditions (yours truly is guilty of this). The same goes for the Indians.

Blogging about this has made me depressed.....Although there's more, I'm just too depressed to continue.......Happy Merdeka Day!! Chocolate time!


No comments: