Google
 

Friday, September 14, 2007

Government servants needed

I'm interrupting the series on the 7 Deadly Sins for this post.

When I got my SPM results earlier this year, the most common question people asked me (besides "How many A's did you get?") was " Did you apply for the JPA (Public Service Department) scholarship?" The answer was, still is, and if I can help it, will be the same for my kids, NO.

Lucky I didn't apply. What if I had got it? I would have been bonded to an inefficient government for a minimum of 5 years. Malu betul (really embarrassing).

Here are the reasons I can think of to work for the government (not counting working as a minister) :

1. One would get to give contracts to one's own friends/business partners/family and take a cut.Only the Malaysian government can pay up to 10000% more for something.Not too bad, right? Stimulates the economy.
2. The pension
3. No need to work hard, since no one's going to fire you. What's the worst that can happen? Transfer only mah. After transferring, I'll have more people to bully and take br*bes from.
4. And of course, after accumulating huge amounts of coffee, I get to opt for early retirement! And I still get the pension!

Hmm..... feeling pangs of regret. Maybe I should have applied after all. Or maybe politics is the way to go..... hmm......

No comments: